Last updated: June 12, 2018
When it comes to you and your baby, plastics are everywhere and can be tough to avoid. Why would we want to avoid them? Certain plastics leach into the food and water they contain. BPA and phthalates are both potent hormone disruptors that have been linked to brain and behavior changes, cancer, and reproductive system damages. There have recently been some reports stating “BPA-free” plastic may contain even more harmful chemicals than BPA, such as BPS (bisphenol-S). (See the article from Time magazine here and the Washington Post article here.) In our world today, it would be nearly impossible to avoid all plastics. In fact, our top pick for a sippy cup is plastic because of its durability, cost and design. Sometimes it’s tough to have it all, and we just do the best we can. In this article we’re going to focus on what we can use for food and drink.
Tips for using plastic:
- Never microwave plastic. Ever.
- Use plastics for foods/liquids that have already been cooled down enough for your baby to eat/drink.
- Never reuse plastics intended for a single use (labeled as #1 plastic).
- Wash plastics thoroughly by hand with warm soapy water. (This will reduce wear and tear caused by the dishwasher.)
- Do not store anything in plastic.
Our top picks for non-toxic, affordable bottles, tableware and food storage:
- Evenflo glass bottles – read more here
- Royale 7-piece dinnerware set Why we love: Made with 100% biodegradable, organically grown rice husk fiber, it’s an eco-friendly complete dinner set for under $20. Includes a suction-cup bowl – perfect for the “throwing everything” stage.
- Green Sprouts Sip & Straw glass sippy cup – read more here
- Wean Green glass food containers Why we love: A pack of four 5 oz. 100% recycled glass containers with locking lids for under $20. Great for storing, transporting, freezing and heating baby purees, milk and food. These are extremely versatile, durable, leak-proof and made with temperature-resistant glass.
Do you have any favorites for feeding time? Let us know in the comments below.
You also might like: