We all want the best for our babies, and that certainly includes a non-toxic good night’s sleep. Conventional mattresses often contain materials such as plasticizers, polyurethane foam, and vinyl (PVC) that have been linked to problems with child development. There is even a theory that SIDS is caused by the toxic chemicals released by conventional crib mattresses (read more here). We’ve been searching for a mattress that wouldn’t have that “new mattress” smell when we first opened it. Some organic mattresses can really set you back (over $300), but we’ve found the perfect balance between organic and budget-friendly: the L.A. Baby Organic 2 in 1 crib mattress.
Why we love this organic crib mattress:
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Made with USDA Certified Organic cotton.
- The mattress has two sides: firm side for infants, and a semi-firm side for toddlers.
- Made with OKEO-TEX® Standard 100 Certified natural bamboo cover. (Only textiles that have passed the test for harmful substances such as formaldehyde, pesticides, extractable heavy metals, prohibited azo dyestuffs and chlorinated phenols are allowed to carry a certification label.)
- Made with CertiPUR-US high density soy foam which provides better support for your baby’s spine and mattress edge safety.
- Air vents on both sides promote mattress freshness.
- Compliant to CPSC safety regulations.
- Lifetime warranty with great customer service.
Here’s a quick view of the mattress:
Other favorite organic items for the crib:
- Organic crib mattress cover for under $30 (even though the natural bamboo mattress cover is easy to clean, this waterproof cover is a must for removing and washing)
- GOTS certified organic cotton crib sheet for under $15 (these are so very soft and stocking up on 3 seems to be a good number for 1 baby)
If you’re looking for a good quality, non-toxic crib mattress for your baby but don’t want to spend a fortune, your best bet is this affordable organic crib mattress for under $150.